We are committed to employing sustainable farming practices, ensuring that we look after our environment and care for the communities around our farms. We follow a strict sustainability policy. Our farms:
- Avoid using genetically modified or engineered seeds.
- Provide employment, education and outreach initiatives to their communities.
- Adhere to strict water protection, conservation, and water management efficiency practices:
- Protection: minimising run-off into streams, avoiding the use of any chemicals that could contaminate communities’ water supplies, or damage the water eco-system.
- Conservation: to preserve and nuture our water resources, using the right irrigation systems to minimise wastage.
- Water management efficiency: applying the right amount at the right time, and employing moisture monitoring systems.
- Practice the responsible use of pesticides and herbicides. Where pesticides and herbicides are necessary, the farms follow best practice application, and adhere to all application guidelines.
- Practice an integrated farming approach at our Ailafoun farm. This includes self sufficiency in alfalfa for our dairy herd, and combining vegetable matter and animal waste for use as organic fertiliser.